COSB helps schools and agencies stay current on best practices through various professional training opportunities
Free, Self-Paced VI Resources for General Ed Elementary Teachers
Conducted by: Dr. Tina Herzberg, University of South Carolina Upstate, and Dr. L. Penny Rosenblum, University of Arizona
This online training is for elementary teachers in grades 2-6 who have a stud
ent with a visual impairment in their classrooms. The training will be open for 6 weeks followed a month later with a survey. Teachers will be asked to:
- Complete a short demographic survey
- Take a pre-test
- Complete 10 units, each 8-12 minutes on topics related to having a student with a visual impairment in the elementary classroom. Some of the topics include:
- How Do You Use Your Vision?
- Understanding the Numbers Behind a Student’s Visual Impairment and the Use of Functional Vision
- What is Braille and How Do Students Read It?
- Who’s on My Student’s Educational Team?
- How Does the Student Use Technology in My Classroom?
- Take a post-test
- Complete 2 activities you select to demonstrate your own learning
- Complete a follow-up survey 1 month after completing the post-test
- Some teachers will be invited to take part in a short interview
Gift Cards: The first 30 teachers completing all activities (other than the interview) will receive a $20 gift card. Certification of Completion: Teachers who complete the follow-up survey will receive a certificate of completion, regardless of if they are one of the first 30 teachers who complete all activities.
- Go to https://uarizona.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dhyNU7De4nCbz0h and complete the consent form and short demographic survey. Dr. Rosenblum will contact you with additional information on how to access the training if you qualify. For more information contact: